Friday, April 10, 2015

Cotton and Steel Mini Quilt Finish

I am shocked and amazed that I actually got sewing in this week. Not only that I finished something! I made the binding and tag on this quilt my goal for April because my nearly two year-old daughter had surgery on Monday. She needed her giant tonsils removed so she could breathe and eat better. Everyone told me how hard it was going to be and how much she'd need me but she has been such a trooper and often running off to play with her siblings. I'm so glad it went so well and as a bonus I finished my Cotton and Steel Mini which is also number one on my Q2FAL list. Take a look...

I used the Nested Churn Dash pattern for this with Tokyo Train Ride fabric. I was thinking about doing pebbles to make the pattern pop more but then I decided that it's a pretty simple block and the pattern already is so strong that some crosshatching would soften it up a bit. I love the texture of it! I had fun deciding on placement of the fabrics and making sure all the HST fabrics pointed the same way.

Here's a closeup of these adorable prints. I'm usually a strong Melody Miller fan but Sarah Watts knocked it out of the park with this collection.

I bound it in mint and gold metallic notorious from the Cotton and Steel basic collection and I found the perfect Aurifil thread match. I did my usual machine zigzag binding because I seriously cannot bind by hand. It looks awful!

The last step was to add my tag. I covered up the recipient's name with a crochet hook because this is a secret swap and the shipping date isn't until June.
  Now I just get to work on some fun extras for her to make this package even better. Thanks for stopping by today and checking out my latest finish! I'm linking up with TGIFF and Finish It Up Friday.

7 comments:

  1. I love it! And the quilting looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very nice! Great job with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tokyo train ride and you did such an even job with the crosshatch quilting, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job Julie! The quilting is really, really nice! Your partner will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! This is going to be hard to part with! Such a fun pattern and the perfect fabrics for this design. Love, love, love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one - your quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really fantastic - I especially love the texture from the quilting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!