Wednesday, September 4, 2013

WiP Wednesday: Just Keep Trimming!

I carved out some time for quilting this week. I am at that stage where there is a lot of work but not much to show for it -- trimming. I am now ready to put this bad boy together this week. I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday.

My sweet hubby got me this smaller ruler and it has made all the difference in my trimming world! I used to have to use my 12.5" square and it was a pain! I also put them out on my cutting mat 24 at a time and it seemed to make it go faster. I would do two sides and then flip them all and do the other two. I had 144 of these to trim.

Here are my HST all trimmed up along with the fancy pile of trimmings. I love how, dare I say, perfect they come out after trimming. It is a lot of work but it really makes a difference.

I also cut all the dog ears off my flying geese. There were 108 of these so it took a bit of time but not too bad.

Now all of my pieces are ready for assembly! This will become the Star Surround quilt from Happy Quilting. LOVE!
So to build the block you start with the centers. I love this, especially how the fabrics play off each other.

I laid out all my pieces so you can see the block. Isn't it fabulous?! I can't wait to put this one together. The fabric is PB&J by Basic Grey for Moda.

This week I hope to put this together, well, at least the centers. My hubby has vacation time so I'll probably have more time for sewing! Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Your pieces look great!! Now comes the fun part. And I trim mine the exact same way. So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a quilt with 500 squares...at least 300 of them hst out of this fabric! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really good. Fair play to you for making the larger size. I made the 40" block and did use my 12.5" ruler and thought to myself I hate trimming HST. Looking forward to seeing it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great Julie, I love the colors, and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing. Wish I was this far along, but I have a start to mine. I won't make the deadline, but I'll use up my scraps so I count it as a score.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!