Friday, May 25, 2012

Hexagon Park Finish!!

 I'm so so excited - I finished my little Amelia's Cape Ann Hexagon Park quilt!  She's excited too see...


When I saw this pattern at Moda Bake Shop by Lynne from Lily Quilts I knew I had to have it.   Since my little girl switched over to a big girl bed two years ago next month she hasn't had a twin blanket all her own.  She's used some I had from college and some we bought before but there weren't any that were hers to start with.  I felt bad because she kept opting to sleep with her baby blankets and now her feet tend to poke out the bottoms more often than not.  I fell in love with Cape Ann by Oliver + S for Moda and then the Hexagon pattern and a quilt idea was born. 

It took me a while longer after I bought the fabric to get around to making it but with some pleading and nagging from my three year-old I got it started.  You can read about the journey through these five posts.. 1. here -  2. here - 3. here - 4. here and 5. here (that seems like a lot of posts/reading but there are other things in them too and the Hexagon part is pretty short).

Now onto the fun photo session pictures...


My good friend Leila from Sewn by Leila did the quilting again.  Seriously, LOVE!  I'm always at a loss of what to do so I left it up to her creative mind and she did these super cute mum flowers in each hexagon.  Aren't they fancy!  I'm nervous because she's expecting and I'm going to have to learn how to quilt myself because I can't afford to have someone else do the quilting for me with the nine quilts I have either completed, have the fabric for, or in the planning stages for this year.

Here's more fancy Leila quilting - She did more mums in the boarder squares and some cute swirls on the white boarder.  Again, LOVE!

My kids LOVE to climb trees.  If they are outside at least one of them can be found in one of our trees.  I decided to use this to my advantage while taking my quilt pictures.  I usually take them inside and the lighting and angles are bad but this way was so much more fun!  Sure they didn't manage to hold it out completely strait but I blame the branches and we'll just have to practice more.  The two oldest are high up holding the quilt and Amelia (whose quilt this now is) is by the middle.  I have one more little munchkin but at two he's not great alone in a tree and he was napping anyway.

We had to get a picture of the cute clothes fabric on the back too.  LOVE!  It's little Amelia's favorite print in the line and we just had to back her quilt with it.

Here's the finished product with no distracting tree or adorable children.  It's 70" by 80" ish and fits well on her twin bed with room for a pillow on top.  It's a little shorter than I like to make my twin quilts but at three she's quite a bit shorter than my six feet.  I think by the time she outgrows it she'll probably want/need a new quilt anyway.

It didn't last long by itself in the grass.  She is so so excited to finally have it done and is happily sleeping under it as I type this.
Thanks Lynne for the fabulous tutorial and pattern.  We love it!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness me that quilt, your adorable daughter, your kids up the tree - what a wonderful post and a wonderful quilt, thank you SOOOOOO much for showing me this. You've made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So adorable. I've had my eye on this pattern too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! This pattern looks great in Cape Ann, and your kids are adorable. I love them up in the tree!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!